Library History and Description
The Eugene H. Maly Memorial Library
In 1829 Bishop Edward D. Fenwick founded St. Francis Xavier Seminary and the Athenaeum College on Sycamore Street in downtown Cincinnati. Four years later the bishop donated his personal collection to the seminary library, forming the foundation of the current library of the Athenaeum of Ohio-Mount St. Mary's of the West Seminary. Over the years the collection has been enriched by the personal libraries of Cincinnati archbishops and seminary faculty members. The present collection numbers over 110,000 volumes.
The collection has survived several moves as the seminary relocated from downtown to Price Hill to Norwood to its present location in Andersen Township. Twice it has suffered from fire with substantial losses. Today it is housed a the east wing of the Athenaeum building in a facility that was fully renovated in 2007.
The Maly Library collection emphasizes the fields of biblical studies, theology, liturgy, church history and pastoral counseling. It is also strong in the areas of canon law, bioethics, and classical and current spirituality. Although its primary emphasis is the Roman Catholic tradition, it provides resources that promote the understanding of other religious and cultural traditions.
In addition to the reference and circulation collections, Maly Library includes a Special and Rare Book Collection that covers a wide span of subjects with a concentration on church history and liturgical books. This collection includes many one-of a kind manuscripts dating to as early as the 12th century, including:
- Peter Lombard (1095-1160) Liber Sententiarum or Book of Sentences, a gift to the seminary library from Bishop Purcell, mid-13th century;
- Pope Innocent III (Lotharius) 1161-1216. Pope, 1198-1216). De Sacro Altaris Mysterio. Title on manuscript: De Missarum Solemniis;
- Augustine, Aurelius (St. Augustine). Tractatus varii; 12th century.
- Cyprianus, Saint. Epistolae; 15th century.
In 1980, the library was named the Eugene H. Maly Memorial Library in honor of the late Father Maly, an internationally acclaimed scripture scholar and beloved faculty member of Athenaeum of Ohio-Mount St. Mary's Seminary of the West.
The Maly Library is a member of the OPAL and OhioLINK consortia which offer patrons access to the library resources of an additional 88 academic institutions throughout the State of Ohio. It is also a member of the Southwest Ohio and Neighboring Libraries Consortium (formerly GCLC).