Athenaeum Seal and Mission
The seal of The Athenaeum of Ohio has as its center the shield of the sponsoring Archdiocese of Cincinnati, its central bar featuring a plow such as ancient peoples would have used. The plow symbolizes the see city's namesake, Cincinnatus, a noble Roman farmer who twice was pressed into military leadership to save the republic, and each time returned quietly at war's end to civilian life.
Around 1790, General Arthur St. Clair, governor of the Northwest Territory, gave the city this name in honor of the Society of Cincinnati, an organization of Revolutionary War officers of which he was a founding member.
Surrounding the plow are three crosses - symbols of the Christian faith.
The dove represents the Holy Spirit, font of wisdom and knowledge, presiding over and guiding this archdiocesan institution devoted to theological and ministerial education.
Encircling the whole are Latin words adapted from Luke, 2, 52: proficere sapientia, aetate, et gratia. They express the ideal of each member of the Athenaeum community: to advance in wisdom, age and grace.
The Mission of The Athenaeum
The Athenaeum of Ohio, the graduate school of theology sponsored by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati, prepares people to serve the Church effectively as priests, deacons and lay ministers.