The Athenaeum Art Collection
The Chapel of St. Gregory the Great at The Athenaeum of Ohio/Mount St. Mary's Seminary and its narthex houses a significant collection of artwork including seven original Vatican Studio mosaics produced in Rome circa 1910 along with two significant oil paintings.
The two oils are: Liberation of St. Peter by Juan de Roelas (1558-1625) and Christ's Entry into Jerusalem by Benjamin Robert Haydon (1786-1846).
The Vatican mosaics, bequeathed to the Archdiocese of Cincinnati in the 1950s by Capuchin priest Father Lorenzo Capitani of Tivoli, Italy, were part of the priest's art collection when he came to America in 1910. They have not been specifically dated.
The six Vatican mosaics include: The Blessed Virgin with the Infant Christ; the Pieta; two mosaics of the Crucifixion; St. Patrick; and Ecce Homo (Christ with crown of thorns). A seventh mosaic -- of St. Joseph - and part of the Capitani collection is not a Vatican Studios work but thought to be the work of a Venetian artist of the same period.
The collection also holds Salvadore Dali prints displayed in the Eugene H. Maly Memorial Library, works by commissioned artists as well as an array of works from around the world displayed throughout the building.